Contact: Lisa Langone
Cruiseport Boston Features a Dozen Triple Plays This Season
Sets Record for Most Days with Three Cruise Ships in Port
BOSTON - Cruiseport Boston is busier than ever! Today is the first of 12 days this season when three ships will stop at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal on the same day. The 12 “triple plays” doubles last year’s six days. The Enchantment of the Seas, Carnival Glory, and Silver Whisper were the season’s first trifecta “one behind the other” lineup. From now through October, those 36 ships will bring more than 74,000 passengers to Boston to shop, sightsee and dine – evidence of Boston’s popularity as a stop on Canada & New England cruises.
Over the next six weeks, three cruise ships at a time will dock at Black Falcon Terminal on Sep.17-18, Sep. 24, Sep. 30, Oct. 2-3, Oct. 9-10, Oct.14, Oct. 23, and Oct. 30.
Cruiseport Boston’s cruise business is roughly 60% port of call and 40% originating cruise. In 2009, Boston’s cruise business set a new passenger record with nearly 300,000 people, an 11% increase over 2008. This year Massport expects to set another passenger record. Over the past ten years, total passenger numbers have jumped 51%. Spurred by this growth, Massport is spending $11 million to improve the cruise terminal.
Cruiseport Boston offers those New England travelers as well as those arriving at Logan Airport an opportunity to take Bermuda, Canada & New England, Caribbean-repositioning and trans-Atlantic voyages embarking from Boston.
Public access to the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal and pier is prohibited while a ship is in port. The best
opportunity to see or photograph a ship while docked is on the Summer Street Bridge over the Reserved Channel in South Boston.
Cruiseport Boston’s Black Falcon Cruise Terminal is located just 10 minutes from the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) and Routes 1 and 93. It is also conveniently located just 10 minutes from Boston Logan International Airport and downtown Boston. Cruiseport Boston offers an attractive mix of cruises to Bermuda, Canada & New England, Europe and the Caribbean. You can find us on Facebook at facebook.com/cruiseportboston or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cruiseboston.
The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) owns and operates Boston Logan International Airport, public terminals in the Port of Boston, Hanscom Field and Worcester Regional Airport. Massport is a financially self-sustaining public authority whose premier transportation facilities generate more than $8 billion annually, and enhance and enable economic growth and vitality in New England. No state tax dollars are used to fund operations or capital improvements at Massport facilities. ~Seaports Deliver Prosperity~