David W Davis Memorial Internship
Criteria & Submission Checklist
David W. Davis was the longest-serving Executive Director in the 53-year history of the Massachusetts Port Authority, leading Massport from 1975 until 1990.
During his tenure Davis more than quadrupled Massport’s gross revenues, raised Massport’s credit rating to one of the highest in airport industry, rebuilt Massport’s passenger and cargo terminals, and created a small business export program that became a national model. Helping to build a new Boston, Davis created a $500 million development program in partnership with private developers to reuse various waterfront properties.
Demonstrating a commitment to Massport’s neighbors as well as to its customers, Davis developed one of the very first residential soundproofing programs in the country as well as a path-breaking peak hour pricing program that Massport later adopted to ease airport congestion. “Kidport” was another airport industry first that Davis unveiled at Boston Logan International Airport in 1987 as the nation’s first airport-based children’s play area. It was also under Davis’s leadership that Massport established its own employee retirement system, which Davis later joined when Massport’s employees elected Davis to be their representative on the retirement board in 1996.
The David W. Davis Memorial Internship is a 13-week paid public service opportunity at the Massachusetts Port Authority. The internship will be awarded annually to an exceptional junior or senior in college. Priority will be given to first generation students. The David W. Davis Memorial Internship will allow students to develop a professional network that will aid them in their pursuit of a career in government and/or the public sector.
To be considered for the David W. Davis Memorial Internship, students must be
- A U.S. citizen
- A resident of the City of Boston
- A college junior or senior with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Involved in community service
- All applicants must submit the following information:
A cover letter that includes:
- Your name
- Home address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- List of attached documentation
- A 1,000-word essay describing why you believe a career in public service is essential. Essay submissions should be typed and double-spaced.
- A short description of the community service you have performed including names of organizations, dates of service, and contact information. Descriptions should be typed and double-spaced.
- Proof of residency (examples include a copy of a utility bill addressed to a parent, or your driver’s license).
- An original copy of your college transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which MUST be from the community service agency where you have volunteered.
Submission information and essays must be received by Alaina Travaglini in Massport’s Strategic Communications and Marketing Department no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2013. Incomplete submissions will be disqualified. Please contact Alaina Travaglini at 617-568-3711 with questions.
Mail to: David W. Davis Internship
c/o Alaina Travaglini
Massachusetts Port Authority
Logan Office Center
One Harborside Drive, Suite 200S
East Boston, MA 02128